Not that kind of special brownies (hahhah) but rather brownies with carrots and apples hidden inside that no veggie/fruit hater would sense. I don’t hide it from my family although with the teenager I am not so open with it – until he eats it. While he will eat most anything I make he has had some weird issue with fruits and berries since he was a baby. The toddler would eat applesauce all day long if allowed…..
Double Chocolate Brownies
- 3 ounces dark chocolate chips (about ½ cup)
- 2 3.5 ounce tubs stage 2 baby carrot purée (Gerber brand or similar)
- 4 ounce tub unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp egg whites (about 2 egg whites)
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350°, spray an 8×8″ glass baking dish with cooking spray.
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, 15 second intervals, until the chips are just starting to melt (about 1 minute). Stir until melted, set aside to cool.
In a stand mixer bowl beat the melted chocolate through eggs whites on low until blended. Add the dry ingredients in, mix on low until just blended.
Pour the batter into the prepared dish, bake for about 35 minutes, until the edges are done and a toothpick comes out mostly clean in the center.
Let cool before cutting.