Be sure to use parchment paper or a sil liner – the bread will stick to the baking sheet otherwise, due to the egg wash.
Chickpea Noodle Soup
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces broken spaghetti (about 1 cup dry)
- ½ cup carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (2 cloves)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups cooked garbanzo beans or 15 ounce can, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp freeze-dried or fresh cilantro
Heat the oil in a tall soup pot over medium-high, add the pasta and cook for about 2 minutes, until lightly toasted. Add the carrots, onion, garlic, cumin and cinnamon, cook for a minute.
Add in the broth, water, chickpeas, tomatoes and cilantro, bring to a simmer, cover and let cook on medium-low for 8 to 10 minutes, until the pasta is tender.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves 4 to 6.
Oatmeal Seed Quick Bread
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup hulled hemp seeds
- ¼ cup raw sesame seeds, brown or white
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- ¼ cup liquid egg substitute or 1 large egg
- 1½ cups buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375°, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Reserve 1 Tablespoon each of the oats, hemp and sesame seeds for topping.
In a large mixing bowl whisk everything through salt together, add the butter and work in with your fingers until small crumbs. Beat the egg and buttermilk together, set aside about a Tablespoon. Add the rest to the dry, stir until mixed. Flour a work surface, knock the bread out and knead until the dough can be handled, adding flour in as needed.
Transfer to the baking sheet, patting into about a 7″ circle. Slash a large “X” across the top, brush on the reserved milk and then sprinkle on the reserved oats/seeds.
Bake for 30 to 50 minutes, until the bread is golden brown and hollow sounding when knocked.
Transfer to a cooling rack.
Serves 4 to 8.