With our moving date getter closer, I have been trying to use up as much food as I can. I figure better to not have to move it if I don’t have to. This was an easy dinner to pull together – and made use of the many bags of quick-cooking barley I bought at Trader Joe’s (and then ignored…yeesh!) And eek……10 days till we move!
Barley Vegetable Soup
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 28 ounce can tomatoes with basil (unsalted)
- 1½ cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups quick cooking barley
- 14.5 ounce can green beans, drained
Bring broth through garlic to a boil in a large soup pot. Add in barley, return to a boil, cover loosely and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for time directed on packaging (mine took 15 to 20 minutes), till barley and vegetables are tender. Add in green beans, heat through.
Season to taste and serve.