Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is an oddity. You may have never had it before, you may love it or you might just think..what the heck? If one expects a mess of greens and mac and cheese at a BBQ joint, well, one expects a scoop (or two) of macaroni salad when dining at a “Hawaiian” joint.
Now then…it is made with pasta and is heavy on the mayonaise. None of which Alistaire can eat. A few adaptations later, and we had a huge bowl of weird tastiness. I’ll fully admit that as a kid I loved fried Spam, which no way would I eat now…but there is a tiny sliver of me that was “oh yeah, Spam steaks!!!!). Lol…….
Vegan & Gluten-Free Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- 8 ounces gluten-free macaroni (Barilla Gluten Free Elbow Pasta)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup non-dairy milk, such as unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- 1 cup vegan mayonaise
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely grated
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add in pasta and cook as directed, drain throughly and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Toss with apple cider vinegar and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk milk, mayonaise, brown sugar, pepper and slat together, pour over pasta, stir to coat. Add in green onions, celery and carrots, stir again.
Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least an hour. Let it sit overnight and the flavor magic really happens!
Serves 4 to 8, depending on portion size.