In my cupboard has been a bag of French Green Lentils for too long and I decided last night to try them out. I liked a bit more snap so ‘undercooked’ them, if you like them more traditional (not al dente) add-on another 15 minutes of cooking time. I served it with baked salmon last night and the leftovers over rice for lunch.
French Lentil Pot
- 3 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup french green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
Bring everything to a boil, turn down to medium-low, half cover and let simmer for at least 30 minutes. Stir periodically and adjust the heat as needed to keep up a solid simmer.
Discard the bay leaf and season to taste as desired.