The cupcakes are vegan, the frosting can be vegan if you want it to be or you can have it with real cream cheese. As always, I am flexible with how I cook and with my ingredient choices,.
Vegan Pumpkin Cupcakes
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup light vanilla soy milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a 12 count muffin pan with double paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk the pumpkin through vanilla together, until smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry to the wet and stir with a whisk until just mixed (a few small lumps are OK).
- Divide evenly between the prepared cups, a large disher helps.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops are firm to touch and a toothpick comes out clean (check 3 – 4 cupcakes to be sure).
- Let cool on the counter for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
Cream cheese Frosting (or shall I say glaze?)
- 1 ounce cream cheese, vegan or regular dairy low-fat
- 1 Tbsp tub margarine “butter” spread (heart healthy preferably)
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Beat the cream cheese and butter spread until fluffy, add in the maple syrup and vanilla, beat till combined.
- With the mixer on low add in the sugar and beat in, once absorbed turn up to high and beat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spread on cooled cupcakes, it will run over the side a bit before it hardens up.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Glazes 12 cupcakes.