I came across this recipe on another foodie blog (Chewsy) which in turn led me to its source, Eating Well. I altered it by cooking the carrot, including cooking directions for the rice and a few other minor tweaks. The smoked paprika really makes a difference and is worth having on hand (I pick mine up at Costco on the cheap).
Before dressing ~
After dressing ~ the paprika gives a lovely shade to the salad:
Brown Rice and Lentil Salad
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
• 1 Tbsp freeze-dried shallot or dried onion (find in spice aisle)
• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/4 tsp kosher salt
• 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
• 15-ounce can lentils, rinsed and drained or 1 1/3 cups cooked lentils
• 1 Tbsp dried parsley
• 1 cup raw brown rice
• 1 carrot, peeled and diced (about ½ to ¾ cup)
- Bring 2 ½ cups of water to a boil, add in the rice and carrot, bring back to a boil. Cover tightly , turn to low and cook for 45 minutes. Take off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff up. Add to a large bowl and gently toss with the lentils and dry parsley.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper in a small bowl, let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Gently fold the dressing in till coated. Chill for a couple of hours before serving.
Serves 3, about 3 ½ cups.