Time to admit something: ever since a bad run in with a commercial flavoring packet added to tofu that was so nasty tasting, I have had no desire to try making scrambled tofu again. And that was maybe 14 years ago. This morning I decided maybe I should try it again – but with me doing the flavoring. Delicious! And using extra firm tofu really made the difference as well.
Tofu Breakfast Scramble
- 1 lb extra firm water packed tofu, well-drained and gently squeezed
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp lower sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup tri-color bell peppers, diced (frozen works well)
- 1 tsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the onion and peppers, cooking until soft and golden. Add in the garlic and cook for a minute longer, stirring often.
Crumble the tofu into a large mixing bowl, add in the turmeric, soy sauce and pepper and stir to mix. Keep crumbling the tofu until it looks like small pieces of scrambled egg.
Add the tofu mixture to the skillet and cook till hot, stirring often. As it heats through the yellow of the turmeric will get brighter. Season to taste with salt, if desired.
Serve with ketchup for topping.