I was inspired by a recipe I saw in The Hollywood Wrap (page 82) that I adapted and then turned into a salad – it had been a wrap filling. I added a little more seasoning as well.
Quinoa and Chickpea Salad
- ½ cup quinoa
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 1¾ cups cooked and drained)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dry roasted sunflower seeds (used unsalted)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (bottled is fine)
- 2 tsp dry parsley (or 2 Tbsp fresh)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dill weed
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp granulated sugar or agave nectar
Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer, add to a small saucepan with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil and let boil gently for 5 minutes, loosely covered, stirring as needed (you may need to turn down to medium-high). Turn off the burner, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl combine the chickpeas, cranberries, raisins and sunflower seeds.
In a small mixing bowl whisk the dressing together.
When the quinoa is done, fluff up and toss gently with the salad ingredients, then add the dressing and fold in.
Chill for a couple of hours or overnight, tightly sealed.