Thursdays dinner was an easy and hearty beans and rice dish.
Red Beans and Rice Pilaf
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cusp frozen bell peppers (frozen)
- 1 Tbsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 1 cube lower sodium vegetable bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 15.5 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 16 ounce can reduced sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp Cajun style seasoning blend (preferably no salt added)
- 1½ cup long grain white rice
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high, add the onions and peppers,m cook until golden. Add in everything else, bring to a boil. Cover tightly, turn to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes. Take off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes and then serve.
Serves 4 to 6.
– We had it with corn salsa, guacamole and chips.