One of my small guilty pleasures is watching Sandra Lee’s Semi-Homemade show and I saw a recipe for a creamy artichoke soup that was easily adaptable. Her recipe called for 2 cans of artichoke hearts, I had one on hand (Trader Joe’s for the best buy!) but I had one of my massive jars of marinated artichoke hearts on hand as well (Costco). That added a ton of flavor and allowed me to not use the pesto called for at the end. It was quite good!
Creamy Artichoke Soup
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 14 ounce can water packed artichokes, drained and cut in half
- 2 cups marinated artichokes, mostly drained
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp lower sodium vegetable bouillon
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 8 ounce container non-fat plain yogurt
In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat, add in the onion and let cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add in the garlic and both types of artichokes, cooking for a couple more minutes.
Add the water, bouillon and pepper, bring to a boil and let cook on medium-low for 20 minutes, loosely covered, stirring occasionally.
Use an immersion blender and process until mostly smooth. Add in the yogurt and whisk through. Taste to see if the soup needs salt and then serve immediately.