Be sure to use French Green Lentils and not the common green or brown lentil found in grocery stores for this soup. French lentils stay firm with cooking and do not get mushy, giving a great bite.
Veggie Lentil Soup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled, quartered and sliced thin
- 1 tsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 1 cup French Green lentils, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups carrots, sliced in rounds (4 medium or 8 small carrots peeled and trimmed)
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and sliced in rounds (about 2 cups)
- 2 Tbsp celery flakes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 8 ounce bag shredded cabbage (used red)
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large/deep skillet or medium stockpot. Add in the onion and cook mostly covered until golden, add in the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the lentils and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the carrots, zucchini, water, broth and pepper, bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook covered for about 25 minutes. Test the lentils for being done (French ones have a bite and are snappy even when cooked) and add salt if desired.
Serve with the cabbage sprinkled on top.