For dessert tonight I picked fresh rhubarb out of our backyard. Ours produce thin stalks, much different from the big over grown ones you find in stores. Tender and tastier, they cook quickly. Just be sure to toss the leaves if you grow your own, they should not be eaten.
Plated with extra fresh berries…..
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 2 cups rhubarb, stalks only, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups strawberries, sliced
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp apple juice
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup sunflower or canola oil
Preheat the oven to 375° and coat an 8×8″ glass baking dish with cooking spray.
Toss the berries with the sugar, cornstarch and apple juice, add to the dish. In a small mixing bowl stir the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and pecans. Stir in the oil until the topping is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly across the berries.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until bubbling and golden on top.
Let cool before serving.