A two-fer today! Crunchy, crumby-liscous homemade bread and a chunky spread that tops it wonderfully. Who wants an easy & rustic lunch?
The bread was what the spread needed – it has body and holds up to it.
- 1¼ cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp dry milk
- 1½ tsp dried basil
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
Add the ingredients in order listed, except for seeds, or as bread machine calls for, into bread pan. Set for a 1½ lb loaf, basic white, medium crust in standard bread machines. If using a Zojirushi Breadmaker, set for basic loaf, medium crust.
Babysit the dough during the kneading, add more flour if needed. Once the dough looks perfect, add in the sunflower seeds.
Remove promptly after baking is done, let cool before slicing.
Makes one 1½ lb loaf.
Pea & Lime Spread
- 12 ounces thawed unsalted frozen petite peas, about 2 2/3 cups peas
- 2 fresh limes, juiced, about ¼ cup
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, packed
- 2 Tbsp dried minced onion, soaked in 2 Tbsp cool water for 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt and ground black pepper
Add everything to a food processor bowl. Process on high, stopping to scrape the sides as needed. till slightly chunky. Taste for seasoning.
Serve on crusty bread.