My friend Cat had sent me a recipe for making a vegan chocolate spread using garbanzo beans (chickpeas) as the base. I tweaked the recipe a bit, it had called for 1 part peanut butter to 3 parts olive oil and I don’t know…that just didn’t sound appetizing to have the oil in it so I instead used all peanut butter.
Chocolate Peanut-Chickpea Spread
- 15 ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 Tbsp water
Add everything but the water into a food processor, thoroughly purée, scraping down with a spatula as needed, till fully ground. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in half the water and then the other half as needed, till you reach the thickness you prefer.
Store in the refrigerator tightly sealed between uses and use up in a couple of days.