This wasn’t as hard or complicated as it might seem and the meal came together easily. The biscuits were something a tried new….they taste good but came out pretty flat overall. Still I can take flat over high fat so I didn’t mind! I used some dairy in the meal but is made vegan easily and I offer the swaps needed.
Roasted Potatoes and Peppers
- 4 good-sized russet potatoes
- 2 cups (½ bag) frozen bell pepper strips
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic (jarred is fine)
- 1 tsp fresh or dried rosemary (if dry crumble well)
- ¾ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with foil. Peel, wash and bite size cube the potatoes, break up the peppers and then mix everything in a large bowl, spread out onto the sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, stir well. Continue to bake for another 15 to 20 minutes (you can raise/drop the temperature if needed to bake biscuits). You want about 45 minutes or longer for the potatoes to roast.
Lower Fat Baking Powder Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4-ounce jar or tub stage 2 baby applesauce
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (or milk/soy milk/rice milk, etc + 2 tsp vinegar)
Preheat oven to 375°.
Stir the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add in the wet ingredients and stir until a dough forms. Knock out onto a floured cutting board and knead a couple of times. Roll out a bit, then cut into 8 strips. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until turning golden brown.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground dried sage
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cups low-fat milk or plain unsweetened soy/rice milk
- 15-ounce can lentils, rinsed and drained (about 1½ cups)Canned Lentils
Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, add the onion, carrots and celery cooking until golden and soft, stirring often, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add in the flour and spices and let cook for a minute or two, stirring constantly. Slowly add in the milk until smooth. Let thicken up, lowering to medium-low once it is, add in the lentils and heat through.
Serves 4 large portions of everything.