An easy to make recipe for 12 vegan friendly cupcakes using the vinegar method – that is where you curdle your non-dairy choice of milk with vinegar, giving the results similar to buttermilk based cupcakes. Any way you look at it…yum! The frosting recipe will be coming up soon with more photos.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup light vanilla soymilk (Used Silk brand, can use any non-dairy you prefere)
- 1 tsp apple cider or white vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners.
- Measure the soymilk into a glass measuring cup, add in the vinegar and stir. Let sit and curdle for a few minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift the flour through salt together.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the sugar, oil and vanilla together. Add in the curdled soymilk and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Using a disher divide the batter evenly between the liners.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a couple minutes, transfer to a cooling rack. Once cooled frost if so desired.
Makes 12 cupcakes.