I tried out a couple more recipes out of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule this morning, combining the basic chocolate cupcake and the uber-delicious coconut pecan frosting. Delicious! I did some tweaking to the frosting and maybe one might argue that it isn’t the same, it was delicious – more delicious than any other german chocolate frosting I have made so far! So if you want the real recipe and not my tweaked one, go get a copy of the book. Which you should anyways 😀
PS: Why did I tweak it? The coconut was bad enough for us so I figured dumping the coconut milk called for and using almond milk was a better choice to at least cut back some of the saturated fat.
Basic Chocolate Cupcakes (Page 37)
- 1 cup plain almond milk (Used Silk brand, can use any non-dairy you prefer)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a 12 count muffin tin with paper liners.
- Measure the almond milk into a glass measuring cup, add in the vinegar and stir. Let sit and curdle for a few minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift the flour through salt together.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the sugar, oil and vanilla together. Add in the curdled milk and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Using a disher divide the batter evenly between the liners.
- Bake for 15 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. (Mine took 25)
- Let cool for a couple of minutes, transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
Coconut Pecan Frosting (Based somewhat on page 147)
- ¼ cup plain almond milk (or favorite non-dairy milk)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Pinch of kosher salt
- ¾ cup plain almond milk (or favorite non-dairy milk)
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ cup finely shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ cup pecans, finely diced (used food chopper)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl whisk the first almond milk with the cornstarch and salt until smooth, set aside.
- In a heavy medium saucepan heat the ¾ cup almond milk and sugar, stirring till smooth, over medium heat. Bring to a boil, turn down to low and cook for 5 minutes, whisking often.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture again and slowly pour into the sugar mix, whisking constantly.
- Let cook for 7 minutes longer, whisking constantly.
- Take off the heat, add in the pecans and vanilla, beat in, then add the coconut. Stir well to coat the coconut.
- Let sit on the counter until room temperature, stirring occasionally. To speed up the cooling transfer to a clean dish.
- Once cooled frost your cupcakes. I used a 1 Tablespoon disher to scoop up generous scoops and then spread it with a spatula.
- Top with a whole pecan if desired.