I adapted this recipe from 1,000 Vegan Recipes, on page 507, using what I had on hand for vegetables. A great and simple way to use up what you have around! 1,000 Vegan Recipes is a fun read so check it out! I made this Sunday morning for a relaxed late breakfast.
Veggie Breakfast Scramble
- 1 lb extra-firm tofu, drained well
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes (2 Tbsp powdered)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped (frozen is fine)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely shredded (about ½ cup)
- 1 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
Crumble the tofu in a fine mesh strainer over a mixing bowl, pressing down gently to remove more water. Drain off the water, add the tofu to the bowl and mix with the nutritional yeast through the black pepper, set aside.
In a large non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium, add in the onion and cook for 5 minutes covered. Add in the bell pepper and carrots, cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add the tofu mixture, stir in well and continue cooking. The scramble should be piping hot and the tofu starting to turn golden brown in areas (think like scrambled eggs)