I had a large bunch of asparagus I had picked up at the season opening of our local farmers market and I was craving soup – it worked out well 🙂
Creamy Asparagus Potato Soup
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups asparagus, trimmed and chopped (1 large bunch)
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 yukon gold, red or white potatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed to the pale green and white, chopped
- 1 Tbsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 4 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp kosher salt and ground black pepper
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan, add the asparagus, onion, potatoes and green onions and cook for a couple of minutes, add in the garlic and continue cooking for a couple more minutes, stirring often.
Add in the stock and seasonings and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook covered until the potatoes are fork tender.
Use a stick blender to purée the soup, taste for seasoning and add more if desired.