Last night I was craving biscuits and gravy for breakfast so this morning I poked around to see what I had in the cupboard. It was an amazing breakfast and filled me up nicely. Yum!
Chickpea Gravy and Biscuits
- 1 batch baking powder biscuits (I made 12 big ones, baked 12 minutes)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 1 tsp rubbed sage (dried)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cusp lower sodium vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce
Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high, add the onion and cook till tender and turning golden. Add in the garlic, sage and pepper, cook for a minute, stirring often. Stir in the flour and cook while stirring for a couple of minutes. Add in the broth and stir until smooth, turn down to medium-low, add in the beans.
Use an immersion blender and process until mostly smooth (some chunks are nice). Stir in the soy sauce and let heat through.
Serve over hot biscuits.
Serves 3 to 4.