When I make this pasta dish again I am going to add sage to it, I think it would play nicely with the flavors.
- 16 ounces pasta shapes (ziti, rigatoni, etc)
- 1 cup sweet onion, peeled and diced (1 medium)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 15-ounce can pumpkin purée (Farmer’s Market Foods Organic Canned Pumpkin is my favorite)
- 3 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk or low-fat dairy milk
- 1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add in the pasta and cook for 2 minutes less than called for on pasta package. Drain.
Meanwhile in a large non-stick skillet heat the oil and cook the onion till golden. Stir in the pumpkin, broth, milk and seasonings. Bring to a boil and let simmer, bubbling for 10 minutes. Add the freshly drained pasta to the skillet and let cook, bubbling, for 2 minutes. Let continue to simmer gently till the sauce thickens around the pasta a bit (it will continue to thicken while cooling). Stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve.
Serves 4 to 5.