This was my first run at making a vegan friendly carrot cake cupcake and I was happy with the turn out. I would consider them a blend of a muffin and cupcake, they are not overly sweet. Add some frosting and they would go over to cupcake land, otherwise you could serve them for breakfast and have a tasty treat that is a sweet and moist muffin!
PS: They taste even better if you let them sit for an hour or two after they come out. The baby ate an entire one himself (with the raisins picked to avoid choking).
Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup raisins
- 8-ounce can crushed pineapple (juice packed)
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 325° and line 22 count muffin cu[s with double liners (I used one paper, 1 metal one per cup).
- In a small bowl mix the applesauce and baking powder together till it foams, set aside.
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda and spices into a medium bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oil, carrots, pineapple (with juice). and the applesauce mixture. Add in the flour mixture and stir till combined (it will be very thick).
- Use a disher or ice cream scoop to evenly divide between the cups, leveling them out a bit with a small spatula.
- Bakes for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes, let sit on a cooling rack.
Makes 22 cupcakes.