- 1 lb angel hair or spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes (I used no-salt added)
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp each red pepper flakes, ground black pepper and kosher salt
- 12 ounces favorite ground meat substitute, cooked to package directions (for a vegetarian version use Morningstar Crumbles)
In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the oil and onion, cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, vinegar and spices. Bring to a simmer and let cook covered over medium-low for 10 minutes. Stir in the ground ‘meat’ and cook covered for another 10 minutes. Season to taste if desired.
Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook the pasta for time directed on package. Drain and toss with the sauce.
Serves 4 to 6.
Notice the hungry eyes…