This was a quick dinner from a few nights back, I didn’t get a photo though…ah well!
The sauce can be adaptable though, adding in finely chopped nuts for more protein or Parmesan cheese for the non-vegan crowd (of course you can always add in vegan versions as well!).
Creamy Pumpkin Sauce with Pasta
- 1 lb small pasta shapes (used bow ties)
- 2 Tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp roasted garlic (jarred)
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, finely diced (or 1 tsp dried rubbed sage)
- 15 ounce can pumpkin purée
- 1 cup lower sodium vegetable broth
- ½ to 1 cup favorite unsweetened non-dairy milk (almond works well)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook pasta for time on package, drain carefully.
Meanwhile in a large skillet heat the oil over medium, add the onions and cook until tender and just browning. Add the garlic and sage, cook for a minute.
Stir in the pumpkin and broth and heat to simmering. Stir in the milk until smooth and let heat through over medium-low. Season to taste with ground black pepper and if desired up to ½ cup of vegan friendly “Parmesan cheese” (or the real stuff for vegetarians) and or salt as desired. If sauce is too thick, add more milk as needed.
Toss with the hot pasta and serve.
Serves 3 to 4.