This salad can be eaten warm or chilled beforehand. Season to taste with salt, my version isn’t heavy on it.
Couscous and Chickpea Salad
- 2 cups lower sodium vegetable broth (or chicken for a non-vegan version)
- 1½ cups couscous
- 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar (or honey for non-vegan version)
- 1 Tbsp dried or fresh green onions
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste, if desired
Bring the broth to a boil in a saucepan, add in the couscous. Take off the heat, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Fluff up the couscous with a fork into a large bowl, toss with the chickpeas and almonds. Pour the dressing over and toss to coat.
Serve with more almonds on top.
Serves 4 to 5.