This is a take on a favorite quick dinner – a hearty vegetarian lentil tomato sauce tossed with pasta. The sauce is ready in the time you boil the water for the spaghetti!
Vegetarian Bolognese Sauce with Spaghetti
- 1 lb spaghetti (rigatta used), broken into thirds
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp diced roasted garlic (jarred)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes with garlic & olive oil
- 15 ounce can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (use the canned version – see below)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add in the spaghetti and cook for time on package, drain.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat and heat the garlic till smelling good, add in the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese and bring to a gentle simmer. Taste for seasoning and adjust as desired. Take the sauce off the stove, add to a large heat safe mixing bowl and stir in 1/3 cup of the cheese – you need the dry canned variety to work best, fresh grated will be too sticky – and stir in. Toss with the hot pasta until coated.
- Serve with the rest of the cheese on top.