Feeling inspired this afternoon I tried out another recipe from the bestest cupcake recipe book ever, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I know I sound like a rabid fan-girl but lets just say I ♥ the recipes! I took a couple of recipes and matched them up, so that we had a double peanut butter treat. Fair warning, the cupcakes are a bit er..oily…so consider using double liners when baking as it helps absorb it.
One note: I left the shortening out of the frosting that was called for. Is it needed? Maybe, maybe not. I just didn’t have any on hand so I didn’t worry! What is nice about the frosting is it isn’t as sweet as most buttercreams, the sugar is pretty low overall. I also used chunky and it was fine.
Peanut Butter Cupcakes (Based on page 59’s recipe)
- ¾ cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup natural chunky peanut butter (used Adam’s)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed meal
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a shiny metal muffin pan with double paper liners.
- Measure the soy milk in a glass measuring cup, add in the vinegar and let sit till it curdles.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the peanut butter, oil, sugar, molasses, vanilla and flaxseed until well combined. Stir in the soy milk mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just mixed.
- Divide evenly between the liners and bake for 23 – 30 minutes (check at 23) until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before frosting.
Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting (Based on page 151’s recipe)
- ¼ cup Earth Balance Buttery Stick
- 1/3 cup natural chunky peanut butter (used Adam’s)
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 Tbsp unsweetened soy milk
Put the Earth Balance and peanut butter in a stand mixer bowl and beat till smooth, add in the vanilla and beat to mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar and beat in, it will be very stiff. Slowly add in the milk and beat till smooth on high, scraping often. If the frosting is too thin, add in another ¼ cup sugar.
Spread on the cooled cupcakes.