Somewhere between a breakfast muffin and a rustic dessert, these are vegan friendly and kid friendly. I was thinking of what Walker might love, and what I had on hand…and this is what I came up with –
I made the muffins with organic raw agave syrup from Wholesome Sweeteners -
And used the unsweetened vanilla coconut milk from So Delicious –
Carrot Apple & Coconut Mini-Muffins
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup dried unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal + 6 Tbsp water
- ½ cup raw or regular agave syrup (or honey)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
- ¼ cup neutral vegetable oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and finely grated carrots
- ½ cup peeled, cored and grated apple
Preheat oven to 350°, spritz or oil a 24 count non-stick mini muffin tin (Wilton Recipe Right 24 Cup Mini Muffin Pan) with a neutral vegetable oil.
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
Soak the flaxseed in the water for 5 to 10 minutes, whisk in the remaining ingredients. Add the dry to the wet, stir until mixed.
Divide equally between the tins (they will be full). Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool for a few minutes, turn out on a cooling rack.
Makes 24 muffins.
Some mini muffin pans are smaller and make 30 to 36 muffins. These will bake faster, so check earlier.
FTC Disclaimer: We received product samples used in this recipe.